1386. Hon ALISON XAMON to the Minister for Education and Training:
I refer to the Thoughtful Schools project and to the minister’s request that the department review the terms of the project agreement.
(1) Why has the minister made this request?
(2) Are reports that the minister does not believe that the project aligns with the antiviolence in schools plan correct?
(3) If yes to (2), in what way does the minister believe the project may not align?
(4) Does the minister’s request indicate that she does not believe the department should support school-based programs to address the underlying causes of challenging behaviour in children?
Hon SUE ELLERY replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) In June 2019, the Department of Education entered into a sponsored research agreement with the University of Western Australia for the Thoughtful Schools project. I was not aware of the project prior to the university’s public announcement. I have asked the department to review the terms of agreement to ensure that the project will complement existing education strategies, including the action plan to combat violence in schools.
(2) I remain to be convinced that the project aligns with our antiviolence in schools action plan, “Let’s take a stand together”.
(3) I expect the review will provide clarity around how the project will complement existing strategies and the alignment to the antiviolence in schools action plan.