513. Hon ALISON XAMON to the minister representing the Minister for Corrective Services:
I refer to the use of videoconferencing in Western Australian prisons during the COVID-19 crisis.
(1) Is videoconferencing currently available in Casuarina Prison for prisoners to contact family?
(2) If yes to (1), how many prisoners are able to access the videoconferencing facilities each day?
(3) If no to (1), why not?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question. The following answer has been provided to me by the Minister for Corrective Services.
(1) Yes. Videoconferencing has been in operation at Casuarina Prison since 8 May 2020.
(2) There are 15 terminals with 11 sessions per day. This allows 165 prisoners to access videoconferencing daily.
(3) Not applicable.