949. Hon ALISON XAMON to the Minister for Education and Training:

I refer to working with children checks.

(1)  Does the Department of Education keep records of working with children check cards of staff at all privately operated camp schools that are used by public schools?

(2)  If no to (1), why not?

(3)  If yes to (1), do all staff at privately operated camp schools currently have a valid WWCC card, or an application in progress?

(4)  If no to (3), why not?

Hon SUE ELLERY replied:

I thank the honourable member for some notice of this question.

The Department of Communities’ working with children screening unit keeps all records of people engaged in child-related work who hold a working with children check card. It is a condition for all Department of Education staff in child-related employment to apply for, or obtain, a working with children check card before commencement. As part of excursion planning, principals also require third party providers to confirm that for any adult involved in activities with students, the appropriate working with children checks are in place.

(1)  No. It is the obligation of a provider who engages in child-related work to comply with the Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004.

(2)  The department keeps records for its staff, contractors and volunteers who are, under the legislation, required to have a valid working with children check card.

(3)–(4) Not applicable.


Parliamentary Type: