1228. Hon ALISON XAMON to the Minister for Environment:
I refer to the issuing of fauna causing damage licences for native fauna.
(1) Are these licences issued for the taking of protected or endangered species?
(2) Is it a condition of the licence that the number and species of animals killed be reported to the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions?
(3) If no to (2), how does the department monitor the impacts of issuing these licences on native species?
(4) Are there reporting requirements for managed fauna that can be taken without a licence?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) Yes. This licence type is required to take or disturb any native fauna causing damage, except when the fauna is managed fauna. An authorisation under section 40 of the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 may also be required.
(3) Not applicable.