Tuesday, March 17, 2020
2743. Hon Alison Xamon to the minister representing the Minister for Corrective Services:
I refer to the transfer of Melaleuca Remand and Reintegration Facility back to public sector management, and I ask:
- does the Government intend for Melaleuca to remain a facility for women on remand and reintegration prisoners;
- if no to (a), what cohort of prisoners will be accommodated at Melaleuca; and
- will the existing programs provided by the community sector continue to be offered in Melaleuca:
- if no to (c), what new programs will be offered;
- who will provide the programs?
Hon Stephen Dawson replied:
- Melaleuca Women’s Prison will be a remand facility for women only.
- The Department of Justice, Corrective Services is still currently reviewing what programs will be provided.
- The current suite of programs is still being negotiated.
- The providers are yet to be determined.