32. Hon ALISON XAMON to the minister representing the Minister for Industrial Relations:
I refer to the exclusion of offshore construction workers from the definition of “construction industry” in the Construction Industry Portable Paid Long Service Leave Act 1985.
(1) Does the minister accept that the exclusion of construction workers on ships from the portable paid long service leave scheme is inequitable?
(2) Does the minister support legislative reform to address this issue?
(3) If yes to (2), when does the minister anticipate this reform will be undertaken?
(4) If no to (2), why not?
Hon ALANNAH MacTIERNAN replied:
I thank the member for the question. The following information has been provided to me by the Minister for Industrial Relations.
(1) The government is currently giving consideration as to whether legislative reform of the Construction Industry Portable Paid Long Service Leave Act 1985 is needed to ensure that the scheme properly provides coverage within Western Australia’s jurisdiction to workers in the construction industry.
(2)–(4) Not applicable.