274. Hon ALISON XAMON to the Minister for Agriculture and Food:
I refer to the revelations of animal abuse on Western Australian cattle farms exposed in a December 2019 broadcast, and the minister’s commitment to review the footage for breaches of animal welfare legislation.
(1) Has this footage now been reviewed?
(2) If yes to (1), could the minister please advise what action has been or will be undertaken?
(3) If no to (1), could the minister please provide an estimate of when this work will be completed?
Hon DARREN WEST replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question. On behalf of the Minister for Agriculture and Food, I provide the following answer.
(2) The footage has been reviewed and further inquiries have revealed the footage was taken on multiple cattle stations in the Kimberley between July and August 2017. The Animal Welfare Act 2002 requires prosecution action relating to animal welfare offences under the act to be commenced within two years of the date of the alleged offence. Although prosecution action was not possible, the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has taken action in the pastoral region to enhance animal welfare outcomes by improving the response capacity of the department’s livestock compliance officers.
(3) Not applicable.