438. Hon ALISON XAMON to the minister representing the Minister for Commerce:
I refer to the former Minister for Commerce’s advice in November 2018 that the public consultation period for stage 2 reforms of the Retirement Villages Act 1992 was expected to open in early 2019.
(1) Will the minister please confirm that the department now intends to release seven discussion papers over the course of 12 months?
(2) If yes to (1), can the minister please advise —
(a) the schedule of release dates for these papers;
(b) how long the public will be given to comment; and
(c) whether it is intended that subsequent amendments to the legislation will also be staggered or whether they will be packaged together in one amendment bill once feedback has been received on all papers?
(3) If no to (1), what form will the consultation take?
(4) When will the consultation period begin?
Hon ALANNAH MacTIERNAN replied:
I thank the member for the question. The following information has been provided by the Minister for Commerce.
(1) The Consumer Protection division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety intends to release several discussion papers; however, the number may vary from seven.
(2) (a) The first paper is expected to be released in July 2019. Release dates of further papers are not yet determined.
(b) The time for comment will be a minimum of six weeks and depend on the content of the discussion paper.
(c) No decision has been made about amendments to legislation.
(3) Not applicable.
(4) Consultation will begin on release of the first discussion paper.