Raw poultry manure use - proposed ban
Date:Thursday, June 17, 2010
2411. Hon Alison Xamon to the Minister representing the Minister for Health
I refer to the significant economic, social and health impacts from stable flies on livestock and people, and to the proposed total ban of the use of raw poultry manure in irrigated horticulture from September 2011, and ask —
(1) How will the ban be implemented?
(2) Which Department or Agency will have responsibility for implementing the ban?
(3) How will the ban be enforced?
(4) What penalties will be put in place for people or companies who do not comply with the ban?
(5) If no to (4), when do you expect these details to be finalised?
Hon SIMON O’BRIEN replied:
(1) The Minister for Health is investigating an amendment to the Health (Poultry Manure) Regulations 2001.
(2) Department of Health.
(3) By Environmental Health Officers employed by Local Governments.
(4) Penalty provisions of the Health (Poultry Manure) Regulations 2001 are:
Maximum Penalty of $1000
Daily penalty of up to $100 per day.
(5) Not applicable.