23. Hon ALISON XAMON to the Leader of the House representing the Attorney General:
I refer to the offence of non-fatal strangulation in family and domestic violence cases, which was introduced in Queensland in 2016.
(1) Does the government intend to introduce the offence of non-fatal strangulation into WA?
(2) If yes to (1), when?
(3) If no to (1), why not?
(4) If yes to (1), which individuals or organisations will be consulted on this proposal?
Hon SUE ELLERY replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) The government is currently considering this issue.
(2)–(3) Not applicable.
(4) The government intends to consult with the WA Police Force, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the heads of jurisdiction, the Women’s Council for Domestic and Family Violence Services (WA) and other relevant stakeholders.