National Youth Week — Young People’s Planning Committee
Date:Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Extract from Hansard
5611. Hon Alison Xamon to the Minister for Youth
I refer to the Minister’s Statement of 1 May 2012 regarding Youth Week 2012, and I ask —
(1) Who are members of the National Youth Week Young People’s Planning Committee?
(2) Who determined the membership of the committee?
(3) How were the members selected?
Hon ROBYN McSWEENEY replied:
(1) Three committees of young people were involved. There was a state wide planning committee based in Perth, a Bunbury launch committee and a regional group meeting by teleconference. Members included around 40 young people (mostly female) from 17–25 years of age. Members came from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds and included students and people in full time employment (some of which volunteer with other community organisations).
(2) Young people themselves determined the membership of the committees. The Department for Communities advertised the opportunity for membership on its website, through its networks and on Facebook. There was no cut-off date and people could join the group at any point. After completing an application form applicants were invited to the next meeting.
(3) Members were not selected. Any interested young person who filled out an application form was invited to take part.