1073. Hon ALISON XAMON to the parliamentary secretary representing the Minister for Mental Health:
I refer to the opening of the East Metropolitan Youth Unit and to the provision of specialist inpatient mental health care for young people.
(1) Are any of the beds in the unit available for young people from Banksia Hill Detention Centre who are —
(a) on remand; or
(2) If yes to (1), how many beds are available for these young people?
(3) If no to (1), are there beds available for young people from Banksia Hill Detention Centre in other facilities?
(4) If yes to (3)—
(a) where; and
(b) how many?
(5) If no to (3),why not?
Hon ALANNA CLOHESY replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of this question.
(1) Yes, but noting that the East Metropolitan Youth Unit covers only 16 to 24-year-olds.
(2) There are no set bed numbers for young people from Banksia Hill. The East Metropolitan Youth Unit is a 12-bed unit for 16 to 24-year-olds. Admission of patients from Banksia Hill would be based on demand and capacity, and after consultant-to-consultant discussion on suitability and the treatment required.
(3)–(5) Not applicable.