662. Hon Alison Xamon to the Minister for Education and Training:

I refer to reporting suggesting teachers do not feel confident responding to students with problem sexual behaviours, and I ask:

(a)  do any of the current school psychologists have specific expertise in problem sexual behaviours;

(b)  if yes to (a), how many;

(c)  are there any particular programs or support materials provided to guide teachers in this area;

(d)  if yes to (c), please provide a copy of available materials;

(e)  if no to (c), why not;

(f)  are there any services available for teachers to refer families who may be concerned about the behaviour of one of their children; and

(g)  if yes to (e), please advise the name of the service and the service provider.?

Hon Sue Ellery replied:

(a)  No, however school psychologists are skilled in analysing behaviour, supporting schools with planning, and referral for students presenting with complex concerns, including problem sexual behaviour.

(b)  Not Applicable.

(c)  Yes. The Department currently provides a range of support materials and professional learning programs for teachers related to problem or harmful sexual behaviours.

(d)  Online Guidelines for Responding to Student Sexual Behaviours are available to all teachers. [See tabled paper no 1229 - Hon Alison Xamon — QON No. 662 — Guidelines for responding to student sexualised behaviour.]

In addition, Child Protection and Abuse Prevention online professional learning is compulsory for all Department staff. This course has a module on harmful sexual behaviours and is available as a face-to-face option. Face-to-face workshops which include information on harmful sexual behaviours have been undertaken across the State by the Mandatory Report Interagency Training Group, which includes representatives from education, health, police and child protection agencies. Fifty workshops were held in 2017.

(e)  Not applicable.

(f)–(g) Yes.

Anglicare WA: Child Sexual Abuse Therapy Service (metropolitan and regional areas);

Parkerville Children and Youth Care (INC): Therapeutic Family Services, Parents and Children’s Therapeutic Service: Child Sexual Abuse Therapeutic Service;

UnitingCare West: Child and Family Therapeutic Service (CAFTS); and

Dr Gareth Merriman, Clinical Psychologist: Sexuality & Relationship Therapy Centre.

The agencies listed above are those known to provide a service to children and young people who are at risk of engaging in, or are engaging in, problematic or harmful sexual behaviours. There are agencies in the metropolitan and regional areas that provide services for children/young people and their families who have been affected by sexual abuse that may provide a service if needed. The Department has a full-time School Psychologist Consultant to coordinate information and resources, and provide support to regions. This position commenced on 9 October 2017.


Portfolio Category: 
Parliamentary Type: