278. Hon ALISON XAMON to the minister representing the Minister for Commerce and Industrial Relations:
I refer to my question on notice 342 regarding the pay equity unit, and to the minister’s response that the government was examining appropriate equal remuneration strategies to address pay equity issues:
(1) Which strategies have been examined?
(2) Will any strategies be implemented?
(3) If yes to (2), please advise which strategies will be implemented.
(4) If no to (2), why not?
Hon ALANNAH MacTIERNAN replied:
I thank the member for the question. The Minister for Commerce and Industrial Relations has provided the following information.
(1) The ministerial review of the state industrial relations system is currently being conducted by Mr Mark Ritter, SC, assisted by Mr Stephen Price, MLA. One of the eight terms of reference for the review reads —
Consider the inclusion of an equal remuneration provision in the Industrial Relations Act 1979 with the objective of facilitating the conduct of equal remuneration cases and other initiatives in the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission.
The interim report of the review was released on 20 March 2018.
(2) The government will consider any equal remuneration strategies recommended by the review after the final report is provided to government.
(3)–(4) Not applicable.