257. Hon ALISON XAMON to the minister representing the Minister for Corrective Services:
I refer to the proposal to move girls and young women out of Banksia Hill Detention Centre.
(1) Has alternative accommodation for girls and young women been identified?
(2) If yes to (1), where?
(3) If yes to (1), when will the girls and young women be relocated?
(4) If no to (1), which options are being considered?
(5) If no to (1), when is a decision expected to be made?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON replied:
I thank the honourable member for the question. The Department of Justice advises the following.
(1) Work is continuing on identifying appropriate alternatives.
(2) Not applicable.
(3) Work is still underway, and as this a highly complex area, it is not possible to give a time frame.
(4) A variety of options are being considered; however, a task of this complexity requires a thorough process.
(5) Not applicable.